Thanks for your interest in being a part of apt. Please read the guidelines below and familiarize yourself with apt before submitting.
HOW TO SUBMIT
We only read submissions sent through our online submission manager. See below for guidelines by genre.
WHAT WE READ
Print: Our print annuals are dedicated entirely to long-form work. Word count ranges are listed below.
– Fiction: 10,000-15,000 words
– Poetry: 2,000-5,000 words; 10-25 pages; 200-500 lines
– Essays: 10,000-15,000 words
Online: We publish new work online each week. Our online journal is dedicated entirely to short work. Length stipulations are listed below.
– Fiction: 2,000 words maximum
– Poetry: We’re currently closed to poetry submissions for online publication.
– Essays/Reviews: 2,000 words maximum
– Comics: At least 3 pages of narrative comics
– Video: Include a link to your work; if under 10MB, upload it via our submission form
NOTE: If you send us a fiction or non-fiction submission that’s over 2,000 words, and we’re interested in publishing it online, we may request to publish it in serial form.
WHEN WE READ
Print: March 1-September 15. Please do not send more than one submission between March 1 and September 15.
Online: All year. Please do not submit more than once every 30 days.
WHAT WE WANT FROM YOU
Include a brief bio (30 words or fewer) written in the third person. If you do not include a bio and we accept your work, we will make something up. It will be complimentary, but likely not factual.
Simultaneous submissions are fine. Let us know if your work has been accepted elsewhere.
We want you to proofread. We want you to use spellcheck.
We want your work to make us think AND feel.
OUR WISH LIST:
– Work from writers of color
– Work from queer writers
– Work from women and non-gender-conforming writers
– Literary activism: work addressing how to remain strong and aware during this dark political epoch we’re enmeshed in (Russian influence in the US 2016 election, Brexit, mass incarceration/the prison industrial complex in the US, the GOP’s attempt to delegitimize the work of climate scientists, the ongoing war against people from the Middle East, the Israel/Palestine conflict, the attack against the First Amendment in the US, the GOP’s effort to rob women of reproductive rights, etc.), and allow us to underline this point: work addressing these issues is not limited to non-fiction
– Hybrid writing
– More fiction and non-fiction: In 2016, we got more poetry submissions than any other genre. We don’t want to have to solicit work–we prefer discovering good writing by new writers via the queue–but we want to present a balanced view of genres.
WHAT WE DO NOT WANT FROM YOU
Previously published material.
Writing about writing. Stories about writers. Poems about poetry.
Overly religious material.
Any work that is racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, hateful, etc.
WHEN YOU WILL HEAR FROM US
For online submissions, we will respond within 30 days.
For print submissions, we will respond within 3 months.
WHAT CONTRIBUTORS RECEIVE
All contributors with work featured in print issues will receive $50 and one contributor’s copy of the issue in which their work appears. There is no payment for online publication.
We reserve first printing rights, including publication in apt in both printed and ebook formats, and the right to excerpt portions of accepted work online in order to promote you, your work, and the journal. The copyright for work published by apt is always held by its authors. If we publish your work on the website, we reserve first North American electronic publication rights and the right to keep it here in archives indefinitely. All other rights remain property of the author. If you want to reprint any work that originally appeared in apt, we ask that you credit the author and the publication.